Thursday, June 9, 2011

Free time and feeling experimental...

So noticing that dandelions were growing quite healthily in our school garden (http://linfordgardenclub.blogspot.com/), I thought that we should appreciate them (hmmm) and see what we can do with them.  I found a recipe for dandelion jam and here are the first steps...pick (and boy did we have great pickers), boil 4 c water and 4 c dandelion petals (no green stuff as it is bitter) and lemon zest...seep overnight.



Next, we separated the liquid from the petals...I used coffee filters...boiled with 6 c sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and pectin.  At this point they are in jars and setting up...hopefully yummy...
I will let you know more about the taste after the dude, dad, and I try it.  Also, I couldn't just throw away the petals so look for the post entitled "Dandelion Paper" tomorrow to see what Van and I came up with...

3 comments:

  1. ...interesting. Let us know what it tastes like. -trevor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Want me to save my backyard full of them for you? That is a novel idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...you keep yours for yourself...the petal cutting was a little too time consuming to do it as often as it would take to keep up with the dandelions :) It was actually yummy...lots of sugar and cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete